Thursday 14 July 2022

Critical weekend for Pakistan - Part 1

 Critical weekend this 15-17 July 2022, in politics of Pakistan and politics is everything. No matter how much I restrained from taking on political issues, couldn’t help going that route for two convincing reasons. One: our ideal, Aqa Alaihe Salato WasSalam remained involved in politics. Two: everything that happens in political arena like promulgation or annulment of a legislation, diplomacy, economy etc affects us and our generations. With this preamble, let’s talk about coming weekend because it is better to ring the alarm bells beforehand than lamenting over spilled milk.

Firstly, I questioned myself many a times in past three months as to why political situation in the country is bothering me so much. I had been so critical of IK’s decision making. Had reservations on his team selection. Had so many disagreements on his handling of issues. 

Secondly, I began questioning myself why have I been so uncomfortable with political involvement of Army leadership. Answer is simple. Despite being wronged and cleared five years after my retirement, Army remained love of my life. So, never bothered about whims of few insecure individuals. The institution was/ is much larger than individuals.  On a personal note, it gave me identity, exposure & confidence. All of if it on merit. Developed priceless traits of survivability & adaptability. No one should be ungrateful to parents, teachers, alma maters and institutions, hence I can’t be ungrateful to Army. It has been my pride and shall remain so. I’m still on reservist list and pray that I get to wear uniform again and it becomes my coffin. 

Now let’s stir up the political and professional curry. On one hand is unavoidable factor of politics and on the other my love of life Army which is getting some serious stick these days. Painful to say the least. Army as institution is an abstract entity but individuals running its affairs make or spoil its image. Image among masses is not so good as it stands. With our usual highhandedness, we may remain in state of denial by disregarding what masses think but it matters. Morale of Army and people is so intertwined, so dependent on each other that it simply cannot be delinked.

Since, I have been able to segregate Army as an institution from political mess in the country but it comes at the cost of leadership. And this is exactly the point when all ‘tentacles’ get activated. Engine of Vigo with black tint cranked, dossiers browsed, benefits reviewed and cellular monitoring begins. How ridiculous that law abiding brave sons of the soil who gave all their lives to this country are being spied upon, checked, harassed and blackmailed for their hard earned privileges. We blindly follow West even if it is a cypher, why can’t we see how veterans are treated in those societies. Enough said on bitter sweet curry of politics and army. May have to break this blog into few parts because the weekend to me is more critical than it may appear to anyone else. 

Part 2 to follow, please.


No comments:

Post a Comment